WOLVERHAMPTON~ BILSTON + DISTRICT TRADES UNION COUNCIL
MINUTES OF MEETING 19 MAY 2005
Kelleher (UNISON). Taylor (CYWU), Halfpenny (NUT), George (Retired Prospect), George, (UNISON), Ceresa (UNISON), Deacon (UNISON), Scott (Black Country Living Museum), Juss (GMB), McFadden MP, Dave Cole (NUT), Tinsley (FBU), Ash (UNISON) Marris (T & G), Davis, (UNISON)
Apologies. Sagoo, Farmer, Grant, Goalby
1. April delegates agreed correct record. MATTERS ARISING:
2.3.4 no NUT hasn’t got material
‘A better way to work’ circulated by Bro. Deacon
Roger McKenzie TUC. not received.
Sis. Halfpenny at Executive.
2. Correspondence ACTIONED
2.4 Make Poverty History postcards
2.8 Lifelong scrutiny Panel Vacancy. Dave Cole who is a delegate explained remit, can be quite a, bit of work
2.9 Paid up
2.10 Sent off for
3.3 Food Justice bill – reduce food miles MPs took copies,
3.4 Cuba Solidarity garden party meet 26/5, Andy Goodall’s house re arrangements
3.13 Ken, R spoke out against City, Academys
4. Vacant executive committee places, WMCATU – No nominations
5. a) Secretary -Bar volunteers needed
Workers Memorial Day well attended wreathes laid
Excellent May Day – need more volunteers to do it, DVD of May Day TUC funded to promote in future years. Could be at Trade Union Conference, to promote, May Day
Palestine – International tent for Wolverhampton show 9/10 July “One City – One World” Marquee
Birmingham delegates were not allowed, into Israel – Ranci sent back
b) Treasurers Report £2002 in balance
c) Workplace – Coventry Unison on strike single status has been imposed
d) Rob Marris- Thanked for support at General Maim
e) Black Workers’ TUC- written report Warindcr Juss Resolution access to Justice, since Trevor Phillips took- over cut down on number posts &- harder to go, t legal help from CRE, Criminal Injuries compensation scheme. Should have a racial harassment element, Questions and discussion followed
5.MAY DAY COMMITTEE
Donate £200 from WB & D TUC to May Day, Committee, S JT’B
6. ANTI-RACIST Sub COMMITTEE
BCUAF 7/8 June Sandwell. meeting, Sandwell Council Oldbury
23rd June bye election in South Staffs.
7. speaker Suzy Scott gave account, of workers Institute & lives of women chain makers & work of Mary Macarthur who persuaded Cradley Heath chain makers to strike for minimum wage. ANY two weeks employers agreed to Pay increase. We. saw pan of a documentary
from 70 ~ s where some of the chain makers spoke about their
experience of die 1911 strike.
The building was never really used by women’s Trade Unioists but by men! k 100 donation to buy a brick for institute.
Employment Advice service -group still to meet
AMICUS branch Secretary suspended by employer, Letter form John Grant in support of the member endorsed by delegates.
(Agreed at June meeting)
Corrections to MINUTES OF MEETING 19 May 05
WOLVERHAMPTON, BILSTON + DISTRICT TRADES UNION COUNCIL
ATTENDANCE Warinder Juss
Apologies. Satwant Sagoo
1. Matters arising April Delegate meeting
Still waiting for Regional TUC proposals for discussion from Roger McKenzie – put on next agenda
2. EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE REPORT & CORRESPONDECE ACTIONED
2.4 Make Poverty History postcards completed by delegates and sent
Sec to contact UNISON re Lifelong Learning Scrutiny panel.
3.9.13 Sec to write to Ken Purchase supporting his stance against City academies
5. Agreed donate £200 May Day Committee
7. Women Chainmakers 1910 strike £100 donation to buy 10 bricks Trade Union festival planned for October 2005 at Black Country Museum. Delegates encouraged to buy out individual bricks at £10.
8. A.O.B. – Employment Advice service – group to meet Marie, Nick, Warinder, Marion, Dave?