WOLVERHAMPTON, BILSTON + DISTRICT TRADES UNION COUNCIL
MINUTES OF MEETING THURSDAY 15TH FEBRUARY 2007
ATTENDANCE: Taylor (CYWU), Deacon (UNISON), Cole (NUT), Muir (CYWU), Childs (CWU), Dolan (COMMUNITY).
Apologies: Kelleher (UNISON), Halfpenny (NUT).
Welcome to all delegates and visitors new and old.
2. MINUTES OF MEETING 18/1/07 – Add Bob Deacon to attendance, no matters arising.
3. EXECUTIVE & CORRESPONDENCE
Executive report – None
• WEA Walsall affiliation £7.00 approved.
• Justice for Columbia affiliation £50.00 approved.
• BPTUAA affiliation £20.00 approved.
• LRD affiliation £36.00 approved.
• TUFS affiliation £30.00 approved.
• Nottingham NUM Ex & Retired Miners Association – Noted.
• TUCs conference delegate – Nick Kelleher.
• TUCJCC – Nominate Dorothy Heath.
• RTUC – Later on agenda.
• Union Learn – 23/3/07 – Workshop – Re-serving on public bodies. Leave till next meeting.
• Rob Marris re-signing EDMs.
• Pat McFadden – Sexual Orientation (Provision of Goods and Service) Regulations.
• Pat McFadden – Arms Sales to Israel – awaiting FCO reply.
• BTUC – May Day – Saturday 5th May.
• Pat McFadden – Redwatch.
• BTUC – Other.
4. REPORTS & DISCUSSION
(a) Secretary – Noted.
(b) Treasurer – Absent.
(c) Community Secretary –Steve Dolan – Industrial dispute at Ralph Martindale, Strawberry Lane. Outstanding pay increase due 1/1/06. Ballot 100% in favour. 75% density. Series of 1 & 2 day strikes. Now suspended while negotiations take place. Good public response. Good relations with police.
(d) Delegates workplace reports – None.
(e) County Association of TUC – Bob Deacon – TUC conference, Bedworth.
(f) Midlands TUC EC – Marion Halfpenny – Absent, refer to next agenda – Sandwell to Chair County Association. Need formal move to establish TUC in Sandwell.
(g) Rebuilding Trade Union Councils outcome applicable for WB&DTUC – Defer to next meeting – Report on website.
(h) Anti-BNP campaign – Need to follow up with Mike Hardacre.
School closure campaign on Ashmore Park.
Holocaust Memorial Day – Not religious dominated. Well attended, well organised. Follow up with Interfaith group. No conference.
(i) Public Services Campaign – Phil Goalby – No report
(j) Palestine Solidarity – Bob Deacon.
(k) Cuba Solidarity – Dave Cole.
(a) Vacant EC positions (up to 12 available under rule).
(b) Trades Union Council conference delegate, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne 19/20th May.
6. AOB – a) Saturday 17th March – Aston University, Birmingham – TGWU & CYWU rally opposing outsourcing of youth work.
b) NUT Wolverhampton – proposal regarding academy has been accepted by Government. Still seeking sponsors.