Wolverhampton, Bilston & District TUC Report for March 2020
The Criminal Cases Review Commission (4-3-20) finally agreed to refer the convictions of the Shrewsbury pickets to the Court of Appeal. The pickets delivered their applications to the CCRC’s Birmingham headquarters nearly eight years ago, in April 2012.
Eight of the North Wales building workers who were jailed or received suspended prison sentences in 1973-74, will now get the chance to show that they suffered a miscarriage of justice.
The Shrewsbury 24 Campaign has worked tirelessly since 2006 to publicise the case and gain support from trade unions and the Labour Party. The Campaign’s Researcher and Secretary, Eileen Turnbull, travelled throughout the UK to find the fresh evidence necessary to persuade the CCRC to refer the case to the appeal court. The documents that Turnbull unearthed now form the basis for the appeal. She said “This is a great victory, which could not be achieved without the support that we have received from the trade union movement. “
ISS employed, PCS cleaners at the Birmingham HMRC sites in City Centre House, 30 Union Street, B2 4AD and Norfolk House, 84-86 Smallbrook Queensway, B5 4EG will be on strike over pay, alongside Bootle and Liverpool, on the 16th and 17th March, pickets all day from 6-30am – financial and physical support requested. Public meeting 5-30pm on 16th at PCS offices.
Celebrate the Bus!
Wolverhampton & Bilston TUC will be assisting with the campaign on
Friday 3rd April 12.15pm Bilston Bus station POSTPONED
see www.wolvestuc.org.uk for info on:
- Palestine Solidarity Campaign – Sat 21st March 10-12 outside HSBC, Queen Sq W’ton – Stop Arming Israel campaigning
- POSTPONED – Health and Wellbeing in the Workplace Conference, organised by Midlands TUC, Friday, 27 March 10–3.30pm Derby Conference Centre, London Rd, Derby, DE24 8UX
- Wolverhampton Workers’ Memorial Day Tuesday 28th April our FLYERS NOW AVAILABLE speakers on: Safe Mental Health at Work 12.30pm at the Workers’ Memorial Day Tree, Cenotaph, St Peters Square, Wolverhampton WV1 1TS
- Wolverhampton May Day festival Friday 1st May 2020 doors open 6-45pm
- venue: Gill’s Bar & Banqueting (formerly Pegasus) WV6 0QQ
- Headshrinkers also featuring: Reckless breakers, One Love International Sound System more tbc
- Wodenstock 2020 planned at amphitheatre Wednesfield 2pm Sunday 19th July 2020. Attila the Stockbroker booked. Funds, volunteers and bands needed.
Thanks to branches that have so far re-affiliated for 2020:
ASLEF, Community W’ton Craft, CWU, Musicians’ Union, NEU, PCS Associates, RMT, UCU University, UNISON City of Wolverhampton, UNISON Sandwell, UNITE WM6150