WOLVERHAMPTON, BILSTON + DISTRICT TRADES UNION COUNCIL
MINUTES OF MEETING 18th OCTOBER 2007
SISTERS: Dugmore, Halfpenny, Pearson, ni Mharchadha,
BROTHERS: Cole, Grant, Kelleher, Jones, Clarke, Rahimi, Ash, Hardacre
Apologies: Sis Ceresa, Taylor Bro. Marris, Muir, Childs, Goodall, Juss,
1. WELCOME to all delegates.
2. MINUTES OF MEETING – 20th September 2007 Minutes agreed correct.
4.c Not pay claim, “offer”.
5. Bros. Cole and Kelleher still to write.
6. AOB – Bro Kelleher still to write to Chainmakers Black Country Museum.
1. CND reaffiliation £5 agreed.
2. West Midlands County Association of TUC – 2008 affiliation more than previously so higher cost.
Nomination of officers – Bro. Kelleher proposes “Steven Hart” Secretary and Treasurer seconded and agreed.
Nominate Bro. Kelleher from County Association of TUC’s to attend Regional Council –proposed, seconded and agreed.
Nominate Bro. Kelleher for Chair of County Association. Bro. Deacon proposed, seconded and agreed.
Nominate G Hickman for Vice Chair – proposed, seconded – agreed.
3. Invite to HM Revenue and Customs presentation for migrant workers – Wednesday 28th November – 1.30pm – Dunstall.
Expenses should be paid for Secretary to attend – moved and seconded – agreed. A report should follow.
4. Race Equality Partnership Wolverhampton – urgent request for nomination – Sis. Halfpenny nominated with Sis. Taylor reserve.
5. Anti BNP Workshop – Saturday 10 Nov – TGWU Birmingham – 10am-12:45pm and forwarded to Rob Marris.
7. Reply from Rob Marris re: Migrant Domestic Workers Rights, removal of rights.
10. Birmingham TUC – Thursday 25th October – Climate change public meeting – 7.30pm– Council House. Good speaker recommended.
11. Wolverhampton Stop Climate Change Group launch of coalition – faith groups linked to Wolverhampton Poverty Action and Friends of the Earth. Information will be put onto website.
4. REPORTS & DISCUSSIONS
a) SECRETARY – written report circulated.
Saturday 3rd November – coach from New Cross Hospital – 7.30am – will be put on website. Phone UNISON Health to book place.
Trades Council Christmas party. £250 deposit returnable if £1500 over bar. Revolution Bar –Wednesday 19th December – £3. Fundraiser for council and health unions – others to contact secretary. Wolverhampton TUC agreed.
b) TREASURER – Healthy Balance minus £250.
Fundraiser for us and individual Unions.
c) DELEGATES WORKPLACE REPORTS
(i) CWU Postal Strike.
Industrial action led to talks and possible deal. This went to executive who were not too happy. 20 amendments to deal. May not go through. Moral very low. May be hard to get members to take action. All support is appreciated. Long drawn out dispute.
(ii) Public Services – UNISON ballot on current offer.
If ballot successful 2 day strike 13/14th November. NUT would like to know outcome.
(iii) New Cross Heart and Lung Centre – Consultative balance supported industrial action. Now Trust are making concessions and re-opening negotiations. Thanks for written report from Bro. Goodall.
d) WMCA – meeting 6th October – Coventry – very active.
Womens Committee Midlands TUC – White Ribbon Day – 25th November. Balloon release at football matches. Wolves are playing. Women delegates interested contact Midlands TUC.
e) WOLVERHAMPTON TOGETHER/ ANTI BNP CAMPAIGN – nothing.
Sandwell BNP – 2 Councillors may have been suspended.
f) PALESTINE SOLIDARITY – no report.
g) CUBA SOLIDARITY – Leonard Wineglass is principal lawyer for Miami 5. Nearest meeting Derbyshire, no details yet.
TROOPS OUT MOVEMENT – Could not show DVD, will show later.
Mary Pearce – National Secretary and Caroline ni Mharchadha,
5000 troops still there.
30 years Belfast delegation to Northern Ireland. Commemorated every year in August. Now popular festival in week. Delegates are welcome.
This year was march and rally for truth – collusion.
Rosemary Nelson – killed by car bomb. Example of collusion between Loyalist Paramilitary and British Army. Changes in law mean that the minister will decide whether there can be an enquiry or not. Judge Long was neutral (Canadian) but others may not be.
Report on Midlands Regional TUC. Child Poverty Campaign. Item for agenda next meeting.